About Me

My photo
Hey guys - I'm a med student in Sydney and loving studying medicine. But in the meantime I'm certainly head over heels into climbing, so check out our blog here and also our training site (links on the right!). Enjoy! Support us and comment if you like what we're doing - and if you want things to be mixed up, then let us know too!

Friday 11 May 2012

Rachmanninoff Prelude, Op. 23, No. 4 in D maj

My recording of:

Rachmaninoff Prelude, Op. 23, No. 4 in D Maj (1901):


I've always wanted to do this sort of thing - get my piano posted, but to be honest I was always pretty nervous when I got onto stage. But I do enjoy playing piano and wouldn't mind posting some videos, so here's the first of (hopefully many) to come.

As many of you probably know, Rachmaninoff (1873-1943) was a composer in the Romantic Period of music. He was a composer of great talent - and both his piano concerto 2 and 3 stand as the greatest works in the piano repertoire, and certainly both lie as personal favourites. His music is also reflective of great hardships that he endured in life; the death of Tchaikovsky, a close friend and mentor, as well as harsh reviews on his compositions and complicated relationships pushed him into a depression, and often this pain is apparent in his music.

As a personal reflection of this music, it was close to impossible to get this piece to a level that I was satisfied with. In terms of accuracy, it's not the most technically difficult piece (and hence you can see my piano ability here is not the greatest); but in terms of capturing the spirit of the piece, this was the only recording I've had over the last fortnight that I've been remotely happy with. But I can say that when I was playing, I felt that sense of pain that Rachmaninoff must have been trying to express, and imagined an aching desire upon his behalf to belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment