About Me

My photo
Hey guys - I'm a med student in Sydney and loving studying medicine. But in the meantime I'm certainly head over heels into climbing, so check out our blog here and also our training site (links on the right!). Enjoy! Support us and comment if you like what we're doing - and if you want things to be mixed up, then let us know too!

Saturday 30 July 2011

Finding Positive in negative

With uni started, I thought that doing two core subjects with two "general education" courses would mean that I have more time to myself. Unfortunately this seems to be the complete opposite side of the fence; I seem to have picked a course which people choose to avoid because it is known to have a serious negative effect on your WAM, and my two general education courses state in the outline that they require up to 4 hours per week of reading, plus 3 extra hours for essay writing. Ouch.

.... Well, with that aside I'll make a rather belated post. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with my endeavour to make USyd med this year, but I just think now would be adequate to write something on being able to find a positive experience stemming from a negative. I had the same sort of mindset when I finished high school, I was saying to myself there is no way that I won't make medicine after high school! Yet a poor UMAT score and an-excellent-but-not-quite-100-UAI later, I found myself in medical sciences at UNSW. Having thought about everything carefully, in retrospect, had I made medicine then, I don't think I would've achieved a sense of maturity that I feel many in undergraduate medicine lack, something which I think does nothing good for the medical system; and I may also have fallen into that big hole that, after studying the medical science, maybe it wasn't something that I wanted to do? To the science part - I have discovered that it is something I truly love. To be honest, my only belief in the study of medicine is that of a postgraduate degree, but to many of my friends that may read this that are performing undergraduate medicines, I feel bad generalising because you guys do such a great job (from what you've told me anyway ;) ).

But in seriousness, I think a larger degree of thought is required before one enters into the profession; a conversation with a good friend the other day let me realize that the pressure from ones' family is still enough to push them into studying medicine. Unfortunately, we are so tied up with the glory and tradition of medicine, and there is a common belief that it is an easy career with a high amount of achievement - and no doubt it is, but there is also a lot of work that we aren't informed of, and a lot of political games that we have to play once we make it in. I feel that the postgraduate courses give one a better chance to see what opportunities are out there, in life, before one is rushed into a career that requires up to 80 hours of work a week. This speaks especially true for the US courses, in which one must complete undergraduate studies before he/she is admitted into the medical school.

Anyway, this sounds like a rant from a jealous student that didn't quite make it in - but remembering, everything is a blessing in disguise; and I am not feeling let down by my failed application to USyd this year. The interview experience was a lot of fun, and I hope I will get an offer at a different school too. I just feel that in the meantime there is so much else for me to do, including expanding this very blog to get more people reading it, so that everyone can hear what I have to say :D

And finally, just try to find that bit of positive, in negative situations. Don't always look upon things as a complete failure; usually there is a lot more you'll be able to take away from a negative experience, and most of the best learning is done the hard way. Keep that in mind, have a look at the flip side of the coin and keep your motivation up :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment