About Me

My photo
Hey guys - I'm a med student in Sydney and loving studying medicine. But in the meantime I'm certainly head over heels into climbing, so check out our blog here and also our training site (links on the right!). Enjoy! Support us and comment if you like what we're doing - and if you want things to be mixed up, then let us know too!

Friday 9 September 2011

Hats, time-fillers and rain.

How does one go about spending time before an interview? At the moment I'm on midsemester break and following the US open (tennis) quite closely. I'm rooting for another grand slam for the great one, making that 17 total and 6 at the US open. That would be amazing. Something else I find quite odd is the rain. Recently in Australia we've been fortunate to have a glimpse into the spring weather coinciding with the start of spring. But today has proven to be one of the most miserable days; rainy and very very cold :( The reason why insert this rather odd digression here is that the US open has been marred by a number of factors; firstly, pre-US-open was that visitor Irene, and the tail end of the competition has had the apple forecast for straight thunderstorms from weds-sunday. Having said this the quality of tennis has been really great and they've done a good job with the otherwise tiresome rain. I can't believe that the US open is also the last place that doesn't have a roof over the stadium. Then again, it is a massive stadium....

But in between the US open, I've been practicing for the interview and just taking a break from uni work in general. I've done some stuff for my embryology project (DiGeorge syndrome)  which is a pretty interesting piece of work. And getting obsessed with my kindle - AMAZING device. To be honest, the kindle has really re-ignited (:D) my love for reading. I'm going through some ethics book for the interview at the moment but am also chewing through some other books.

Finally, just something short on methods of thinking. I'm always looking for a way to make my study more effective, and over the course of time (and earlier in the life of this rather haphazard blog) I've mentioned things like the Leitner system and self-reflection. But an interesting fellow known as Edward De Bono proposed a method of the six thinking hats. It's ben a really interesting read and I'm looking to see more people implement this method. Have a bit of a read and let me know what you end up thinking :)



No comments:

Post a Comment